When you’re traveling for business, be it your own or for a company, you want to put your best face forward. It’s important to get there on time and for you to appear put-together and professional. If you follow these tips for packing for your next business trip, you’ll not only make life easier for yourself, but you’ll impress your clients and colleagues with your professional style.
1. Choosing the Right Luggage
Having the right suitcase can make or break you when you’re traveling, especially by plane. In most cases, business trips aren’t more than a few days. It isn’t necessary or desirable to take more than a good carry-on size suitcase.
Before purchasing carry-on luggage, consider the following:
• Does bag match the size criteria that the airline gives for carry-on bags?
• It the bag sturdy enough to survive the round trip?
• Are there enough pockets to keep everything safe and organized?
• Does the bag stand out so that you can spot it easily?
In addition to the ideal carry-on suitcase, you want to select the right laptop travel case, the best travel case for your make-up and toiletries and the perfect travel case for your jewelry. You’ll want to keep both durability and size in mind, but don’t forget style!
2. Selecting the Perfect Wardrobe
You want to look effortlessly professional, but garment bags are a hassle, and due to size, you must waste time checking them. You’re smart and saving time by only taking a carry-on, but it limits your space. Your best solution is to shop for convertible clothing.
Convertible clothing is no longer just frumpy looking sweaters or simple, reversible sides. It has come a long way over the years. Search for convertible bandeau dresses, perfect for your meeting and dinner afterwards. If you purchase one that converts to a skirt as well, pair it with a simple but classy shell top and a thin jacket.
If you’re afraid that your outfits will look too similar each day, all you need to do is accessorize well. Find a couple of elegant scarves to wear with it that are easy to pack and don’t take up too much space. Make sure you have a variety of jewelry tucked into your travel jewelry box, and you’re set.
3. Packing the Proper Way
Organization is your best friend when packing your suitcase. You’ve chosen the perfect clothes for your trip; you’re set with a toiletry bag and a jewelry box. You don’t want everything to go down the drain because you don’t pack properly.
Organizing your suitcase will save you time both once you reach your destination and when you’re ready to return home. If you are organized, you won’t have to waste time searching for what you need.
1. Make sure that the inside of your suitcase is clean.
2. Item by item; lay your clothing on a hard, flat surface and smooth out the fabric. Roll each article of clothing tightly, keeping the fabric smooth as you roll.
3. Starting with the larger rolls of clothing (like pants), then dresses and shirts, place your rolled clothing into the bottom of your suitcase. Fill in small spaces with rolled socks and undergarments.
4. Place any liquid toiletries into small, sealed plastic bags-remember, you are only allowed to take 3.4 oz. or smaller bottles that can fit into a quart-sized plastic bag. Make sure that you do not exceed what is allowed by law.
5. Place your bagged toiletries into your travel bag. Then place your toiletry bag and your travel jewelry box on top of your clothes.
If you want to be extra safe, you can always put a layer of plastic wrap between your clothing and your toiletries to provide an extra barrier against leaks and spills.
If you follow these three easy steps before your next business trip, you will save yourself both time and hassles. When you’re able to concentrate on the meetings and tasks at hand rather than worrying about your luggage or wardrobe, everyone wins.